My personal journey training as a triathlete in Spokane, WA.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Goodbye ole' friend - hello my new baby!


My story starts in 2001 when I did my first triathlon as challenge from my personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness to help me loose much needed weight. So I bought a new bike, wetsuit and some running shoes and off to my first race at the Spokane Club.

So with much regret I am selling my aluminum QR Kilo bike or rather passing along 7 years of fond racing memories and lot of training hours to a fellow friend and newbie triathlete - Rachel Bauman. I feel a little like a father approving of his daughter's first date making sure the ultimate buyer/user would be tri race worthy and take care of my old and trusted steed. Rachel was so excited with the new purchase that she immediately rode 20 miles the next day and plans on doing 2 sprint tri races this summer so I feel happy that my bike has found a quality new owner.

With money in my hand or burning a hole in my pocket I started my quest searching for a new Road bike. Many of my friends, coach and fellow racers have suggested that I get a road bike to learn how to be a faster cyclist plus you can't show up with the local morning ride on a TT bike! I spent numerous hours and countless emails with Jim at Cyclemetrix Bike Shop going over new options which were all out of my price range for what I wanted for frameset and components.

I eventually turned to search on Ebay and found the latest addition (2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro) to my bike collection. It was almost too good to be true to find a bike in my little size (49cm), full carbon frameset, DuraAce component and in my price range. I had numerous fellow roadies review and approve before I started the bidding process. After a week of very patiently waiting for UPS to show up - it was like Christmas in March for me! Funny how a bike looks better in person than online. Can't wait to hit the roads with my stealthly black road bike - still working on a nickname though which I'm sure will come in time after a few outings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home